Skip to content

Musing About Excess!

Red sunflower against house, altered

As we’re about to be slapped around by the full moon, a second lunar eclipse and mercury still in retrograde, I’ve been trying to sort out my life. Looking at the patterns of accumulating too many things and having a to do list that is so full it makes me feel that I’ll never wade through it without drowning.

The garden is littered with pots of plants that we’ve dug up because they were suffering in their current place and the spot we need to move them to hasn’t been prepared yet. We’re creating a new garden in one corner of the property, which used to house horses. First, we need to move yards of gravel out and yards of compost in. Then plants.

On the publishing front I’ve been making slow progress on getting older books and stories up with new covers, but the amount to do is still overwhelming. I have, however, got all the novels into paper. Which is a major undertaking – so yay! I’ll be getting links up soon.

On the writing front I’m working on a bunch of short stories, all less than 3,000 words, which is a huge challenge for me. Once I get that done, I’ll launch into another novel. My brain wants to chew on something big. I have no idea what that will be, but I can feel something large and complex getting ready to come out. More yay!

Earlier in the summer, a beautiful orange cat with golden eyes and extra toes began hanging around our house. He was obviously un-neutered, very friendly and affectionate. He spent a lot of time wooing the girls. After a month of him hanging around at all hours of the night and day, (and us not feeding him) we asked around with all our neighbors, but no one knew who he belonged to. Animals often get dumped out here on the rez.

July 4 and the annual war zone was coming up, so we swooped him up and took him to the vet for neutering, shots, etc. Then we closeted him in the teenager’s room. Over the next 2 1/2 months we tried to introduce him to our four cats. Every time we did, he attacked one of them. We took to walking him outside with a harness and leash in an attempt to get him out and exercise. He was always friendly around people, but after neutering, wanted nothing to do with any of our cats. Guess, he’d been feral too long. So, after researching and trying everything we could find, we made the decision that he needed to go live with someone else, as an only cat.

So, Tuesday, he went to his new home. I’m still so very sad it didn’t work out. I’d always wanted an orange cat, and one with extra toes! I loved his personality, but it wasn’t meant to be.

The other cats are slowly adjusting to the fact that ‘the monster’ is gone. Only one of them has been willing to go into that room, now that the door’s open again after 2 1/2 months. The stress level around the house has reduced, palpably. Normally, it takes about a month for a cat to adjust to the household. We’ve had lots of cats over the years.

So, I’ve been thinking a lot about how much of anything is too much. Too much work on so many fronts, too many cats. Trying to decide what to change and how. Figuring out my priorities. And taking a lot of time out to rest and recover. Gather my strength.

I’ll let you know how that turns out!


Published inGardeningLife in GeneralPublishingWriting

Be First to Comment

What are your thoughts?